Sunday 31 July 2011

The Geek Intepreter

I have another Kelly dream. This time it's the end of the world, a world seemingly mixed up with the desperation of a Japanese salary-man. This man's sleeves-rolled-up sweaty desperation somehow triggers the apocalypse.

Meanwhile, across town, I'm showing a version of the film "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" to a group of people and Kelly. Am I a professor? Or am I just showing off? The film is real by the way, it stars Murray Head and Nigel Green and I have never seen it, though I have always wanted to.

The film is a lush, psychedelic cartoon, and even in the dream I realise that this is nothing like the actual film, but I go with it. My version is probably better. A rival nerd has paid a sky-writer to advertise an alternative event - a screening of "Watchmen" across town. The poor pilot is attempting to draw Dr. Manhattan's hydrogen symbol against the background of a glowering mushroom cloud.

"Looks like he picked the wrong day to go sky-writing!" I quip. It gets a big laugh and Kelly looks very pleased with me. I hunker down next to her and a few more seconds of my made-up film continue; it's the capture of Grendel, though what Grendel is doing in this story I haven't a clue.

I turn to Kelly and she looks distraught, her face seems thinner and her eyes look panicked.

"What's wrong?" I ask her. "I feel as if I have five minutes left to live," she says.

I wake up.

1 comment:

  1. Scary stuff. My dreams seem to be taking a nasty twist these days too. Hope you're still going over to Paddy's for some Twilight Zone action. He's lured me over later with the promise of chips, beans and sausages.... He sure knows the way to our hearts.

    And look! I am now a fellow blogger even though I haven't decided what the jeeperstown I'll be writing yet.

    ReplyDelete